Projects

The trellis is now made for the Aquaponics, and ready for when it is needed.

 

 

We started in the morning by going to the hardware store for supplies, including the wood, screws, brackets and tools. This took most of the morning, so in the afternoon our tasks included digging the post holes (6 in total), cutting the wood to proper size and screwing down. Once the frame was together, we hammered the u-nails into place so I could weave the twine for the vines to climb along. Once that was done, we lifted it into position and then put on the last pieces of wood to attach the back plants to the trellis as well.

The only issue is, despite the plan of digging 30cm into the ground, we could only dig 20cm for the posts to go into. So it means it is out of my arm reach without assistance by step ladder or the bricks we have spare. Overall though, very happy with how it turned out and we believe it should work quite well.

 

This took most of the afternoon, however we still managed to do one more project. We decided to fix up the indoor seedling system. The problem was we left it open, so there was a lot of algae build up in the seedling water tray and in the water pipe. So we cleaned the tubs and replaced the water. We also replaced the clear water tube with black poly to stop algae build up. To finish it off, we had some left over black chalk board, which we measured and cut holes for the seedling trays to slot into, also ensuring the water tray isn't exposed to the sun any more.

 

In this we have some Cucumber, Watermelon, Pumpkin, Chamomile and Carrots. Some spots are empty because we transplanted them to the main Aquaponics system to see if they do well. These we intend on trying to grow the rest in soil which means we will have to build some wicking beds. We had planned on planting them in the garden next to the water tank. After digging out some plants yesterday, we found underneath those plants were several layers of wood chips and sand directly underneath. Unfortunately not usable for a grow bed, however we have planted some Corn seeds to see if they sprout. Rather than taking out all the wood chips and filling it with usable soil, we decided just to go with wicking beds, a project for later.